Our soft furnishing workshops and courses will take you step by step through the skills and techniques required to make cushions, lined or interlined curtains or roman blinds. Each student will work on their own individual project and you can decide whether to focus on curtains, blinds or cushions. Helen will happily discuss this with you before the workshop.
This one day course is designed for people who would love to design & create their own furnishings. Students will learn the techniques involved, from measuring the window and working out fabric quantities, through to planning & designing & finally, creating your own individual hand-sewn, interlined curtains or roman blinds, or making different styles of cushions
We will cover the following aspects of making a roman blind or curtain
- Choosing appropriate fabrics and window treatments
- Measuring and Cutting: understanding the importance of accurate measurements, estimating quantities for main fabric and lining / interlinings, calculating drops and widths, fullness, hem and turning allowances, cutting of fabric, working with pattern repeats and pattern placements
- Assembling the curtain and lining: joining fabric widths and assembling the main fabric and lining, bottom and side hems, and mitred corners.
- Assembling: making the blind and lining, rod pockets, bottom hems and mitred corners. Joining the lining and main fabric and attaching the top Velcro
- Curtain headings: Selecting and applying curtain heading tapes or pinch pleat headings.
- Fold calculations for a roman blind: understanding the implications and effects of different folds, and calculating the fold spacing
- This workshop also covers the Child Safety aspects of corded products to give you an understanding of the requirements of BS EN 13120 regulations
You can also learn how to make a professional piped and zipped cushion, Oxford style cushions or boxed cushions. The course will cover cushion pads and suitable fabrics, measuring, planning and cutting, how to make piping, how to insert a zip, how to use trimmings and covered buttons.
The workshop runs from 10.00 am to 4.30. Lunch will be provided, so please get in touch if you have any dietary requirements. Further details and a list of items to bring with you will be sent to you with confirmation of your place.
We offer a wide selection of fabrics from British designers such as Peony and Sage, Sarah Hardaker, Kate Forman, Cabbages & Roses, Jacqueline Milton, Emily Bond, Vanessa Arbuthnott and many more. If you are looking for fabric inspiration and would like to order fabric ready for the workshop, please get in touch and Helen would be happy to assist.
New Autumn 2018 Dates: Saturday 15th September, Saturday 10th November
Location: High Ham near Langport in Somerset.